Sunday, October 3, 2010

Breakup Letter

DEAR ADBUSTERS

It's been what....Five years now?
Whoa..Five whole years since I first discovered you.
I remember it well.

2005, I was an angry teenager.
I had skipped school that day and decided to bum around the Chinook C-train station in Calgary. It was cold out, as it would be in November, so I decided to go into the first building which caught my eye.
Okay. Chinook Centre.
I could go in, walk around, go undetected, and warm up.
I made my way to the Chapters and saw you. Love at first sight.
I picked you up and began reading.

FINALLY!
Something to agree with my anger for over-consumption and evil marketing of companies!

I agreed with everything you expressed.
From the disturbing number of sexist ads in media, to the impoverished sweatshop workers of South Asia: You had it all.
Your ideas of radical revolutions and anti-capitalism had me by the throat. After all, I was young.

But now...
Now...
Listen. You're brilliant. But I dont want to read you anymore.
No, I havent sold my soul to Starbucks, nor have I become a slave to Nike or any industry.
I simply dont want to read you anymore.
You contradict yourself. If you're so hung up on anti-capitalism, why do I have to buy you in the first place?
I still love your ideas, as well as your insight to the world....But, damnit! You've become a fucken snob.
If you were a human being, you'd be those millitant hipster twenty-somethings with no real idea of how to get any of your 'Revolutionary' ideas working.

That and the Violence. Oh god, The Violence.
When I was young, I was convinced violence was okay, in order to get what you want.
But it isnt. It never has been, and it never will be.
Yes, Revolutions have come and gone. They have been violent.
How many of them have held their ground?
Ghandi found a way to overthrow the British Empire with Peace.
Buddhism has lasted 2500 years, and has yet to spread hatred towards any other religious group.
You cant just splatter photos of young punks with their faces covered in Eastern European Countries throwing grenades at buildings, and expect anything good to come of it.
(Why are your photos all young people anyways?)

Yes, Mega-Corporations are destroying the Environment, taking away our rights, producing sexist/ageist ads, among other millions of things, but here's the thing: No matter how many buildings blow up, or cars lighten on fire: You cant change the minds of people who dont want to change.
You cant go up to someone and start yelling at them about their shoes. Or latte.
Yes, Children did create those shoes. Yes it is wrong. But obviously, the guy wearing the shoes doesnt care. I doubt his ability to give a fuck will magickally double with some young zealot screaming in his face.

The world will not change into a Peaceful Utopia with Violence.
People will not change with agression.
Yes, they'll do things yr way by yelling at them.....But only until you've left the room.

The way you treat me is horrible.
I've been a devout follower for five years now, and you still accuse me of being a Capitalist pig.
Okay. I consume. I live in a First World Country.
Is that a fault? No. I cant help where I live! Thats mighty Class-ist of you!
I am a Straight Edge Vegan who doesnt drive a car, owns mostly second-hand materials, and never takes more than my share of anything!.........Except for Rice Chips.....{ALL MINE!}
Yet you still belittle me for simply reading the English Language and using money.
Well, here's a wakeup call for you: Trading and currency have been around since the dawn of time.
I dont need you telling me I'm a horrible person because I live in a tiny apartment and sleep in a little comfortable twin size bed.
I'm not in a sweatshop, but I am still underpaid for the work I do. And trust me, I do work.
I am not being whipped, but I am still taunted and hunted down by perverts because I am a woman.
I am very aware that horrible things happen in other countries- which is why I try to consume as little as possible and donate to charitable organizations.
One thing you have to understand, Adbusters: Things take time. You have to be patient.
No matter how many people you scream at, people will change and realize injustice when they want to.

Yes, we do need to seriously re-educate ourselves about over-consumption and evil corporations: Just not from you.
I can see right through you.
You are a magazine created in Vancouver BC, Canada.
-The last time anything blew up here from the millitary was a meth lab on Princess Street, ran by the son of a retired Cadet.-
Many people will see this breakup letter as some idiotic dribble of a disillusioned young punk.
I dont care how they see it.
I see it as one step towards a future thinking for myself, and having my actions damage as little people as possible.
Hope You find another nice Boy or Girl to converse with.

-LC

No comments:

Post a Comment